I can't believe my little boy is turning 3. It seems like only yesterday that they placed him in my arms for those brief seconds before taking him to NICU where he spent 11 days. Born at exactly 40 weeks he was the biggest NICU baby they had seen in a long time. Every shift change that I was not able to be by my sons side, I would call and check on him. I remember calling at the 5:00 am shift change every morning. One morning my conversation went a little something like this:
Me: Hi, I'm calling to check on my son. Baby boy *****.
Nurse: Oh, ya big baby boy!
Me: Ya I guess so (with a half hearted 5:00 am chuckle) So how's he doing?
Nurse: He's a big boy, did you have GD (gestational diabetes)?
Me: Umm, no.
Nurse: He's really big. You know moms who have GD usually have bigger babies. Are you sure you didn't have GD.
Me: (trying not to get upset) NO! I'm pretty sure if I did, I would have been told. Besides, I really don't think that 8 lbs. 10oz. is monstrous do you?
After she finished telling me how huge she thought my son was, I was finally reassured that he was doing as well as could be expected. Three years later he is still above average in height but right on in weight.
Nonetheless, celebrated his birthday with a cake, presents and family. He wasn't all that interested in anything but the cake. When asked how old he was going to be, he would reply "I'm gonna be cake!". Yes, he knows how old he is but for some reason was just really interested in the cake.
Happy Birthday baby!

Happy Birthday to your Big Boy!
ReplyDeleteI think I want to be cake for my next birthday. What a lovely idea!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday to your big cutie pie!!
Happy Belated birthday to your Sweet boy!! Love the cake! We did the Cars theme too! Also wanted to let you know that your nurse you spoke to at 5am would really have had a problem with my not so little 9lb 15oz baby. I also did not have GD ...did the 3 hour test TWICE and passed!
ReplyDeleteThanks ladies! I can't believe how fast time flies by. Out little ones are getting big fast.
ReplyDelete