Saturday, February 28, 2009

An Ara-b-que

If you would have invited me to a barbeque 5 years ago I would have expected something like hamburgers, hot dogs, maybe even steak. Along with its accompaniments of potato salad, pasta salad, fresh fruit, chips, dip, soda and beer (did I cover it all).

Although Arab barbeques are nothing new to me, I still find little to be desired in their odd choice of food. When I was informed of a barbeque we had coming up I was pissed to say the least when I found out what would be served. Lamb, mergess (an equivalent to a small polish sausage) and a green salad. This is the conversation that followed my discovery:

Me: So, what are they going to barbeque (expecting to hear something like hamburgers).

DH: Lamb

Me: Are you kidding me? (Now I know that Americans eat lamb but it's not usually the first thing that comes to mind when you think of a barbeque)

DH: Why?

Me: How the hell do you barbeque lamb?

Me: What else do they serve at this Ara-b-que?

DH: I don't know, salad, fries and bread (I you know anyone from North Africa they will attest to the fact they cannot eat a single meal without bread. Preferable French bread).

Me: *Again* Are you kidding me? Who the heck brings fries to a barbeque. What no potato salad, no baked beans? That's not a barbeque and I'm not going.

Yes, I know I was being selfish but like I said, I was pissed. If you marry someone from a different culture, you make a lot of sacrifices but I lay down the law at messing with the sacred barbeque.

Fast forward to today. It's a nice 80 degrees here in California so we're having an Ara-b-que with a bunch of friends. We're all suppose to bring something. Which means, I get to prepare all the LAMB, yipee! Each family is also suppose to bring a SALAD. I just got a call from my husband to inform me of what each family is bringing. Here is the list:

  • Lamb by yours truly
  • Mergess (the Polish like sausage)
  • Potato Salad also by yours truly. (Ahhhh, a little piece of home).
  • Curried Rice salad (I decided that if they won't eat the potato salad they will eat the rice)
  • Brownies (Kids gotta have something sweet in between walking around with a big ol' lamb chop hanging out of their mouth)
  • Fries
  • Green Salad
  • Soda
  • Coffee
  • Tea
  • And I'm sure some Arab sweet.

So much for the pasta salad, chips, dip and baked beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment